I believe you are on the right path already this year…you have set big goals and hoping that just somewhere along the way, you will succeed right?
Let me ask you, what does Success mean to you?
We’ve all grown up hearing the cookie-cutter version of what it means to be successful. Get a fancy job, make lots of money, have a beautiful house and a loving family. Consciously or not, we tend to hold our own success up to these benchmarks.
For some people, “success” evokes images of wealth and power: a high-paying job, huge mansion, luxury car, fancy yacht, and so on.
But while these achievements and milestones may be fulfilling to some, not everyone fits into this life plan. If you spend your life chasing someone else’s dreams, you may appear successful on the outside, but inside you’ll know you’re not fulfilled.
But success is about so much more than what you HAVE….
It’s about how you FEEL.
If you wake up every morning happy and eager for the day ahead– THAT’S success.
If your heart bursts with love when you think of all the amazing people in your life – THAT’S success.
If you’re living your life’s true purpose and making a lasting positive impact on the world – THAT’S success.
First of all, it’s crucial to figure out what exactly success means to you. I mean literally sit down and think critically about it. You may need to ask yourself these questions?
- When have you felt most proud of yourself?
- What would you rather spend your time doing that will give you great fulfilment but you presently aren’t doing?
- Now, think about the last time you truly felt successful, accomplished, and beaming with pride. What were you doing? How can you add more of that experience into the rest of your life?
- What are some definitions of success that others have ingrained inside of you? Think in specifics — are there certain people (like parents, friends, etc), who have made you feel that in order to be successful, you need to follow a certain path?
- What is YOUR dream? Hush the voices that are trying to convince you that their version of success is your dream. Dig deep — what would make you feel accomplished and joyful if you could do it everyday?
- How will you feel when you accomplish your version of success? Imagine the moment and describe it in detail.
Unlike what we’re told in school, success isn’t just a six-figure salary or GPA to achieve, but a framework for how to live.
It can mean different things in different aspects of your life. Maybe success, to you, means climbing the corporate ladder to be the first female CEO at your company. Or perhaps it means being the best stay at home mom and role model to your two kids that you can possibly be. It could even mean becoming independent enough to start your own business. Life is a big adventure — make sure the adventure you’re choosing is one that brings you joy and the feeling of accomplishment.
Sometimes your idea of success will evolve. And that’s a good thing. As you try different jobs, relationships and life paths, you’ll narrow down what drives you the most. You’ll realize some things you valued highly maybe aren’t as important to you anymore. You might find out that a certain lifestyle or achievement isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. And then you’ll be able to define your version of success even more explicitly.
It can be easy to slip into a pattern of making decisions based on other people’s expectations. It feels great to receive support and pride from your friends and family. But at the end of the day, only you are living your life. Not your parents, not your partner, not your friends.
Find out what it is that makes you happy. What makes you jump out of bed in the morning? What is it that makes you feel proud, accomplished and wildly successful? Chasing those dreams is what’s going to make you excel in life. And if anyone tries to make you feel bad for not falling into their version of success, feel free to remind them how you are creating your OWN real version of Success!
Be a part of our Success Coaching …sign up today for the Annual Personal Plan for Success (A.P.P.S) workshop and start creating your OWN success path.
Answer the questions above truthfully, there’s no need to hide from yourself. Dig deep, pay attention to what really nourishes your soul. There you will find the courage to create and live your success just the way you choose.
If you enjoyed this article, share with your friends and drop a comment on our facebook page on your own definition of Success.