Academic coaching is a comprehensive service for students who want to improve their academic and self-management skills, such as time management, organization and study skills. Raising Champions offer this support to help students achieve their academic goals along with self-advocacy and independent, life-long learning. The content and structure of each individual coaching session is determined collaboratively by the student and the coach to identify the student’s unique learning strengths, develop individual plans for academic support, and promote self-confidence and independence.
Take this short quiz. How many apply to you or your child?
- I’m drowning in paper and my backpack is a disaster.
- I forget to do / turn in homework and have the zeroes to prove it
- Studying doesn’t work -or- Wait. Study? What’s that?
- I hate choosing between good grades and a personal life.
- I’m scared I won’t get into a good college -or- I’ll drown when I get there
- Writing essays drives me crazy
- I procrastinate and have a hard time motivating myself.
- I sincerely want to do better, but I just can’t figure out how
- Other: ________________________________________
What’s the difference between academic coaching and tutoring?
Tutoring is about mastering a specific content; academic coaching is about honing the learning process. Whereas a tutor explains a subject in more detail, an academic coach investigates what is causing the learning interruption. The coach then teaches new skills and perseveres until the student has integrated both the new habits and the ability to problem solve independently the next time a learning challenge presents itself.
At Raising Champions, I am here to help students enhance their thinking and learning skills. Learning how to learn efficiently may be the most important academic skills students will ever possess. I am able to work collaboratively with students, teachers and parents. One of the goals of the coaching relationship is to find ways to help students develop greater academic initiative and self confidence.
Most students benefit greatly from techniques that teach them how to learn, focus and organize their time. Effective planning and time management skills can be the difference between academic frustration and academic success. I am here to give them the attention they deserve and the skills they need to succeed. All coaching is personalized to your student’s specific needs.
Common Goals for Academic Coaching:
· Identify and work through obstacles getting in the way of academic success
· Develop study skills and habits necessary to be a successful college student
· Get motivated and stop procrastinating
· Prepare for tests and reduce anxiety
· Establish a balance between academic rigor and extracurricular activities
· Improve time management skills
· Learn the importance of making notes and acquire the “how to”
· Develop short and long-term goals for success
· Learn self-discipline, self-motivation and self-efficacy
Maybe you are a typical family that struggles to create a balance between home, school, and sports or other activities?
Let me help by providing an evaluation of your schedule. Does your student need to make more time for sleep? I will show you how to powerfully, discover more time in your day and use that time more efficiently.
I can help to set expectations and make an action plan with strategies that will help you and your students to use your time more effectively. This includes instruction in time management and organizational skills, as well as the use of a day planner or online calendar.
It is time to break free from unproductive habits and replace them with winning techniques for success. All coaching techniques are strategic, goal focused and results driven.
Ready to set productive goals for your school year? I can show you how to set realistic objectives and get the most out of your academic year through the use of SMART goals: Simple, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time bound.
Do you also work with adult learners?
Yes! Adults who are going back to school are welcome. They usually have a short term need, and we are able to solve their problem during within 5 sessions. Please contact me to find out more!
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Call: 08068880123